Friday, January 2, 2009

New mini-quilts

So I made this goal for the new year. I planned on stitching something every day for a year. It could be anything - stitches with a sewing machine, hand applique, sewing a button on hubby's shirt, anything! Well January 1st came and went and I failed my goal. In one day! Can anyone beat that???! I think my 'year' will have to end January 2nd 2010!

But tonight I made up for it. I had 3 wonky log cabins made from the Flea Market Fancy fabrics I won a few posts back, and some houses I was going to make something with for the recent craft fair I vended at. The houses and log cabin blocks were still on my design wall saying, "Quilt me! Quilt me!!", and so I listened to their pleas.

I am going to make lots of mini quilts this year. I would love to just plaster the walls in my home with them! Brenda at Pumpkin Patch Primitives is my inspiration for this. We have become great friends - in REAL life! Wow! - and the only kind of quilts she makes are little ones. You walk in her home and every wall and horizontal surface is tastefully decorated with mini-quilts. I have learned from her that you can put quilts anywhere you want! So this is my year of the mini quilt.

My cabins and house are not quite finished - I just have to stitch down the bindings, (which will fulfil my stitching requirement for tomorrow) but here is a sneak peek for now, hanging threads and all... The good thing about my goal for the year is that I should have a lot of things to show and share with you. I'm back on the blog-train!!

14 comments:

Deb Robertson Writes said...

They are so cute. I've been meaning to make mini quilts for ages, but always end up making big ones!! Maybe we should start a challenge to make one very month - that would be cool.

Teresa said...

New hair style? I like it.

Shawn said...

Wow, stitching something every day? I am impressed!

Mine was to just exercise this week and guess what? I haven't had time to do it yet---arrggghh.

Cute mini quilts!

Nedra said...

We forgot to tell you..the quilters New Year just started today. So you see? You're doing great!

Sherri said...

Your mini-quilts are great...and there's nothing wrong with ending the year of stitching on Jan. 2 2010! In fact...I might start tomorrow and end Jan. 3 2010! Thanks for the great idea!

Gluten Free Store Ltd www.glutenfreestore.co.nz said...

Those quilts are cute as buttons! i have been wanting to make a quilt for a while now, so perhaps I should start mini. Face my fear of cutting into my favourite fabric, and just jump into the abyss!! :)

Anonymous said...

Can't have to many minis. Welcome back. Cut your hair, did you?

Julie said...

Stitching every day is a great goal, even though you have already blown it. LOL. I say that Jan 1st doesn't count. So you go on with your stitching goal. LOL.

Suzy said...

What a great resolution! You should be very industrious this coming year. Can't wait to see all your projects -- and I love the idea of mini-quilts. :o)

jacquie said...

stitching every day...that's a tough one...though noble! love that house!

Brenda said...

You go girl!

em's scrapbag said...

Love the minis. I've been making a few of my own. Look forward to seeing great things on your blog.

Leah said...

welcome back to the blog train. i love these mini quilts and of course the fabrics in your header photo are deliciously colorful. your xmas mini quilt was really pretty too. happy new year!

Leah

Karen said...

Hey J...Love your little house quilt. Little quilts are so much fun, and usually a lot faster. BTW, love your new pic;) Good luck with the stitching every day...wish I could join you;)