Thursday, March 5, 2009

Finally, Applique

Firstly, yes I know I've taken a blogging break, and it wasn't really on purpose, I just didn't really have anything quilty to blog about! I need to keep reminding myself that I have that no blogging guilt button on my sidebar:)

I have indeed kept up with my sewing goal. Not as well as I would like, and sometimes it has been 'technically' keeping my goal, but not keeping it in the spirit it was made - eg I have sometimes been woken up by my hubby, and gone to my quilt room at 11.55 at night and sewn a two inch line on a scrap of fabric, then crawled back into bed! I know, I know, terrible!! Other times I have fixed hems, sewn up seams, sewn on buttons, but not a lot of quilting has gone on the last couple of weeks.

I am here to fix that though!

On Saturday I am going to a quilting workshop at a local quilt store. It is free (yay!) as it is an experimental workshop for the teacher. We are to take an 8 1/2 inch block, and it will be the centre of a round robin quilt. We will go home with a 22 inch square quilt top, and the 'rounds' will be determined on the spot - drawn out of a hat. Should be a lot of fun!

I have thought quite a bit about what my centre block should be, after all, it will set the tone for the whole quilt. I decided I want something to go in my orange kitchen, so of course, orange had to be in my centre. It's been a while since I've done any applique, so of course that had to be in it too.

So last night, I did some cutting, and this is what I came up with...
The first one is on my design wall, the second in where it is right now, on my nightstand waiting to be appliqued...I think I have some applique to get done today! You will be able to see those yellow windows a lot better once those pesky seam allowances on the sashings are turned under :)

And now you just know I will have something to blog about after the workshop - I can't wait to see what my simple little house is turned into, and also what I will get to work on for the other ladies.

Other happenings of late? Well there's always the snow. Or rather, here in New Hampshire, there's ALWAYS the snow!! I thought we were done for the year. Really! I mean, I could see our grass!....That's the three handsome men in my life, AND do you see the grass in the background? And my lasagne garden in the front of the house, completely snow free??? Well a few days later, this is what happened...

But I suppose there are good things about snow. We got to go sledding at the park, only the snow was too fluffy and soft to sled, so the kids played on the snow-covered playground instead!

And just how deep was the snow? Well here you can see that it reached my knee...I actually think we were a little crazy. I mean, look - we are the only ones in the carpark!!
But you want to know the scariest thing of all? How much I look like my Dad in this photo...
That's what happens when you spontaneously decide to go to the park in the snow with no make-up on!

15 comments:

Sherri said...

Welcome back...it will be fun to see your round robin quilt! And the snow looks so beautiful...but I know it's a lot different when you actually have to live in it!

SewAmy said...

love your colorful applique house. and I thought we got alot of snow.... you got a lot more.

Nedra said...

Sweet Joanna: I have been sending you e-mails with no response! You have won my give away of a $20 gift certificate from Superior Threads! I need your last name sent to me on my e-mail nedras@mstar.net
so I can have them send it out to you!
Congratulations!

Jennifer Paganelli said...

love your sweet appliqued house and the three happy guys in your life....way to go..Jennifer

Lindsey said...

Welcome Back! We missed you! Yes you do look like your dad...a compliment for sure. Can't wait to see your round robin.

Lori Holt said...

Joanna, I really like your blog! I'm new to blogging so I'm just now finding all kinds of fun ones to check out. I'm glad I found yours and I really like your house block- I can't wait to see the end result:)

Nanette Merrill said...

Well your dad is cute so it is ok! Snow go. That is what I say. I can't wait to hear about the workshop.

Anonymous said...

From the White Mountains......welcome back! What a great way to foster community.....a Round Robin. Have fun and keep us posted!
Cheers!

Teresa said...

Ah, but your dad has such a nice face. I bet he has a great sense of humor...you can just sense the twinkle of fun in those eyes.

Mel said...

I love your center house! The design and colors are great! Can't wait to see what it 'grows up' to be!

Karen said...

Hi J,
Your little house is adorable and such handsome men. Yes, there is always the snow...thought we were thru' with it for the season, but nooooooo...woke up to snow this morning. Glad you're back;)

Marie Rayner said...

Love the little appliqued house Joanna! Also loved seeing the snow and how much fun you all had in it!

jacquie said...

welcome back..i am jealous of all your snow...such fun!!

em's scrapbag said...

Your little block is very cute. I can't wait to hear about the workshop. Looks like a fun day at the park. Make up is over rated. You look lovely.

Unknown said...

Oh, that is hilarious! I guess we all start to look like our Mother or Father at some point.
I can't wait to see what you do in your class!