Friday, August 20, 2010

Tree crazy

Remember in my last post when I said to watch this space because another tree was coming?! Well here it is...(and quite fittingly, it has a shadow cast on it by the branches of a tree above)Just a quick little quilt this time. It was actually a practice tree for a bigger quilt I'm working on. I started off with just the pieced tree and thought hmmmm I think it needs some applique, and since I live in New Hampshire, and Fall is on the way, red leaves were in order. I like the simplicity of the modern pieced tree and the traditional appliqued leaves. For anyone who is into the new trend of 'modern' pieced quilts, and wants to try applique but is too scared, this is the perfect thing to try it with. Nice and simple. Applique doesn't have to be elaborate at all.

I was able to fill in the gaps with the quilting. Extra branches and leaves...A bird on a limb...And grass below...It wasn't until I showed it to my husband that he said, "Oh it's a Fall tree, right?" I told him that it wasn't any particular season, just a tree. He said, "Sure it is - look at the quilting - you've quilted the leaves that used to be there but have now fallen. And the bird has gone away - you've quilted what used to be there." He saw something I didn't see or intend, but I like it! Yeah sometimes he surprises me:)

18 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Cute! Your wall of fame is beautiful.

Karen said...

A polka dot tree. How unique and fun.

Lisa said...

so cute! love the quiltie wall!

shellysquilts said...

Hey Joanna, Super-duper CUTE! I luv it! Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful ! I enjoy your blog very much. You are inspiring. Lizzie

Raewyn said...

hi Joanna, this is a cute wee quilt; I love how you have made a feature of the quilting. Super cool!!

jacquie said...

i love this tree! i'm still working on my hand applique tree...i'm regretting the handwork a bit. yours is fabulous!!

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Beautiful. I just completed a pillow for my sister with hand and machine applique. I had a good time making it and she flipped over it!!

antique quilter said...

oh how cute, love your tree. I am enjoying seeing your wall of little quilts grow!
great choice for background color too, I never would have chosen that but I LOVE it. thanks for sharing.
Kathie

Abby and Stephanie said...

A perfect additon to your collage. Sweet little tree with it's polka dotty trunk and branches. Great birdie quilting.

Amy Seven-Stitches said...

What a thoughtful husband and of course a lovely tree. The little bird is a nice touch.

pat sloan said...

what an awesome wall of quilts!

Barb said...

what fun quilting on this sweet little piece!

Candace said...

Your little quilts are wonderful, and your mini quilt wall is stunning.

Nanette Merrill said...

I love both trees. They are a great addition to your wall and a testament of your talent!

Teresa said...

You have such a fun sense of color and design. I love the little whimsical tree...needs an owl to greet visitors.

Monet said...

That looks so awesome, Joanna! The quilting is gorgeous, and your choice of background fabric is inspired.

We miss you so much and hope to see you soon :)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely wall of quilts.....