Friday, October 5, 2007

Piecing, not applique

Today I have 3 different things to show you. One quilting related, the other 2 not.

The first thing is a little quilt I pieced today. Nope, not applique - I needed something quick and easy to make, so I made up this pattern. I am going to teach some ladies from our church how to quilt - as in beginner level, from the basics on up. I didn't think my favorite type of quilting, needleturn applique, was a good place to start! I suggested we start with a tablerunner, and they suggested a Fall theme, so this is what I came up with today...

Of course I have yet to layer and quilt it, but you get the idea. Super easy, and it will get them learning about colors, connecting corners, sashings, borders, strip piecing (the stems) and then the quilting itself. Hopefully I will have a 'done done' photo for you this weekend.

Secondly, my darling husband came home the other day with flowers! He would bring me flowers every day if his brain would think of it, but being a man, he needs to be reminded to do certain things lol! So I was very excited to have some beautiful roses to put on my dining table.

And thirdly, I made a Fall wreath for our front door. My neighbor told me that her and my back fences are covered in Bittersweet. Being a little new to this region and this plant, I asked her to tell me all about it. She said that she uses it every year to decorate with, and told me about how the yellow shells will pop open and expose the bright orange berries. She put some above her outside doors last week, so I got all inspired by that and yesterday ventured into the unruly mess of Bittersweet vines out the back. I put some around the railing at our front doorstep, and had a bunch left over so started to play and this is what I came up with....

Now when I put it on the door at 10am this morning the berries were still covered by the yellow shells. I went out for the day and when I came home at 3pm all the berries had popped open and I finally got to see this beautiful plant in all it's glory!!

I hope you all have a wonderful long weekend. Not having grown up in the States I am still a little lacking in American history knowledge. My first grader had to explain to me today why we have Columbus Day. Yep, my first grader became the teacher. And now I know what Columbus Day is!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enoyed looking through your blog. Since I'm on the West Coast, I don't get to see the wonderful plant from which you made your wreath. It's gorgeous!