Saturday, September 17, 2011

Curtain (of a different kind)

The hair salon curtains are now sewn, ironed, and folded, but I was strangely still in the curtain making mood. I have this odd space in my quilt room. It's really a big doorless cupboard...

It looks like a great useful space, except nothing can be put on the floor. Under a wooden board is a big hole which fills up with water a couple of times a year, which you then empty out with the sump pump which you can see sitting there. Attractive ain't it?

I keep meaning to make a curtain to cover it, and today was the day! Yippee! I've been collecting vintage sheets, so I just pulled out a twin size one of those, hemmed up the bottom a couple of inches since it was a tad too long, installed the curtain rod, and there you have it. Done!

So now, instead of looking at an unusable gaping hole while I sew, I get to see this vintage prettiness...




Much better:) Price - $2 for the vintage sheet, $1.80 for the rod. I call that a bargain!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Pretty curtain! Suggestion - if you can't use the floor because of wettness - couldn't you install a hanging bar across the top and hang one of those storage baskets,shelving things? Or maybe install some regular shelves? Some things that are out that don't need to be that aren't used that often? Maybe - just a thought! I may have to go and make a new curtain for my space now!

Brenda said...

If it's the bottom that gets wet you can put up three or four shelves on the top (maybe only going halfway down) and you have "some" usable space.
Your curtain idea really was perfect too...looks so much nicer now. You're so creative. =)

Sharon said...

I'd say that was a fabulous bargain. I've never thought of vintage sheets, but I love this one. Great idea. I too, have a sump pump, but mine is in the crawl space. It's music to my ears when it kicks on, I know it's working and I won't have water in my basement!

AnnA said...

you are so brilliant my sweet lil' kiwi! brilliant. ~a

Jean C. said...

Good for you.... isn't it nice to have these talents to be able to come up with these sort of things. Nothing better than covering a large hole... although, now that it's there if you get any visitors they are going to wonder.... "what's behind curtain #1! Mostly cause it's sooo cute!