Friday, September 23, 2011

Teddy Time

Along with the quilts I was commissioned to make recently, I am also making teddy bears to go with them. These aren't you regular teddy bears made with fake fur from a local craft store - these are made with super duper expensive mohair. If you're not familiar with mohair, it runs from around $100-$200 per yard. Do you have any idea how scary it is cutting into stuff that expensive? Yikes! But cut I did, and I'm almost done with the bears. All I can show you right now are bits and pieces, but I do have a headless bear, and the head of another you can see.
No face is on the blonde bear yet, but I'll be working on that as soon as I post this. That's the fun part - it's when the bear comes to life. The placement of just one stitch can change the entire expression.

These bears will be all finished this weekend, and then I plan to get my fruit and vege quilt all quilted and bound. Start thinking of a name for it - "fruit and vege" quilt is just not working for me!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

The bears look very cute! and luxurious...


What about "Summer Harvest" for your fruit/veggie quilt?

Elzaan said...

I LOVE teddy bears - all shapes and sizes!!!
I like Nancy's idea for your f+v quilt. I first thought of "in my garden..." but hers is better.

By Hoki Quilts said...

I love making bears each and every one looks so different even when using the same pattern - as you said just one stitch can change their whole personality. Sparse mohair here seems to be more expensive than the normal stuff - go figure, it's got less hair too1
hugs - Miche'le

Janet said...

The bears are going to be so lovely in mohair, I'll be looking forward to faces.