Thursday, November 3, 2011

Back to Applique!

Thank you everyone for all your kind words this week while we were without power. We finally got power back yesterday afternoon while sitting at the table eating lunch. I do believe I might have screamed with surprise and delight! It was a physically cold week, but my heart was warmed with the fun non-electronic things my family did, and also from your messages of support! The photos I posted yesterday were from around our neighborhood. We got off very lightly - one of my lilac trees snapped, and a branch from our neighbor's pine fell on our roof then the ground but we aren't aware of any damage.

ANYWAY....today I actually did some applique! I bought some tea towels (what do you call them here in the US? I grew up calling them tea towels in NZ, but I need a translation for the US - 12 years here and you'd think I would know!) and thought I'd take some patterns from my fruit and vege quilt and do some simple raw edge applique on tea towels.

Since it's Fall and pumpkin season here, I started with the squash and pumpkin block.
I have two more to do - still deciding which shapes to replicate. Stay tuned!

5 comments:

Elisa Black said...

So glad you got your power back! And your applique looks lovely!!

Katie said...

My mom is British so I say tea towel sometimes and the American in me says dish towel the rest of the time. :-)

Heather said...

I grew up in Canada but have lived in the US for over 30 years and I just thought they were called tea towels. The applique on yours looks great. Glad to hear you have power again!

AnnA said...

I say tea towels. But then again, I'm a cultured lass, LOL. most say dish towels if they are terry or tightly woven cotton used to dry dishes. If they're thin like yours, used to toss over biscuits or to lay out on the table, then they're tea towels.

Marg said...

As I'm an Aussie, I say tea towels too.
Very cute autumn applique for the tea towels!