Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Taking Photos

For a couple of years now I've been wanting to make a set up to take quilt photos like on the Holly Knott website. They have a wonderful tutorial called Shoot That Quilt on how to make the stands and photograph your quilts. I bought everything to make the lamp stands 2 years ago and finally, today, made them and now have it all set up in the basement.

The impetus to get them made is our girl Sofia is having a birthday party on Friday and we're going to take photos of all her friends as part of the festivities. We're talking about 10/11 year old girls here - I think they'll have a blast posing, and then I can email the pics to their Moms.

I took some test shots after school of the kids and some boys we babysit - they didn't get all fancied up, but I think the photos are still great!




The stands are super easy to make, and cheap too! If you can use a screwdriver then you can make these stands. Screwing these brackets to the 2x4's is all it takes...

The most expensive part were the special lightbulbs at $15 each, but I think there are some much cheaper alternatives out there now since it's 2 years later.

I can't wait to see how photos of quilts turn out with this setup. Guess I'll be doing some playing tonight!

And local friends - want photos done?? Come on over and let's play!!!

2 comments:

Elisa Black said...

Great setup! The light and colors look good on your trial run! Can't wait to see how it looks when you do your quilts!

Janet said...

I love the whole idea of being organised for quilt photography. The photos of the kids are great.