Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Travel Tuesday

We had a busy and fun day today. First we went down to Massachusetts to Walden Pond of Henry David Thoreau fame. It was so hot the kids jumped in clothes and all!


Next we went to Minuteman National Park where the Revolutionary War started. They have a fantastic multi-media presentation that even my 3 wriggly kids sat through transfixed!

North bridge was next on the agenda - it is this exact spot where British soldiers and colonials were killed.


It's amazing to see places where history took place. Finally we rounded out the American history portion of the day by visiting Sleepy Hollow cemetery. Buried here are the famous authors, Thoreau, Louisa May Alcott, Hawthorne and Emmerson.



The most interesting part of this was seeing what was left on their graves. For example, have a look at Thoreau's grave...



Isn't it neat that people leave notes and pencils? How appropriate!

I'm sorry I haven't posted much in the way of quilting lately - we've been out and about so much with our family visiting that it doesn't leave much time to sew! Back to regularly scheduled programming soon :)

2 comments:

Elisa Black said...

That sounds like a wonderful excursion! I have never been to Walden Pond, but I am a fan of Thoreau, Emerson and Louisa May Alcott. Thanks for sharing!

SO I'M Anna Fogg, an eclectic kinda gal said...

I love that you so appreciate our heritage, though you're a Kiwi...what a great trip you all had. I am passing this on to Jade; Louisa May Alcott, next to LM Montgomery, is her favorite authoress. ~a