Friday, January 7, 2011

For the birds

When I drew the little pictures of the flower/branch/bird for the bag I've been making this week, the branch with the bird seemed like a great idea. Then I cut it out and it looked like this...
It was just OK but I didn't love it, and I didn't think changing the tree fabric would make me like it much more. Plus it was going to be a pain to actually applique. The tips of the tree branches and bird would have to be appliqued to the other end of the bag after it was quilted and joined into a tube shape (as you can see in the first photo) and I just didn't feel like dealing with that, so being a woman, it was my prerogative to change my mind. Smile to yourself if you are now singing the Bobby Brown song in your head!

So now I'm doing another flower in its place, with the bird sitting on top, but I can't decide which bird and wing to use! I've appliqued the stem but won't get to the bird until tomorrow (Saturday)or Sunday, so you have time to let me know which you think works best!


By the way, the appliques look a lot better once stitched - the seam allowances you see in the photos cover up a lot of the design - plus there are a couple of extra little things I plan on doing!

8 comments:

SO I'M Anna Fogg, an eclectic kinda gal said...

Bottom bird. He has more 'uummph'. I did like that branch thing though. Who's line is that, that brown with the blue vine going through it? ~a

SO I'M Anna Fogg, an eclectic kinda gal said...

Aha....It's the print with the vases and all the vines/branches coming out. I have it on the blue background. I see that now. I've been on flckr looking at Kaffe, AMH and Amy Butler groups of quilts and itching to be stitching one tomorrow and can't find my blasted #@!XP$%!@! rotary cutters! Neither one of them! After finishing Zach's quilt 2 weeks ago, I just want to piece. ~a

Cyrielle Lemeunier said...

Le premier est superbe

(The first is wonderful)

Elzaan said...

I prefer the third bird. But why put the bird on the flower? Suppose the bird sits on top of one of the QUILT-letters? Just an idea.
Elzaan

Caro said...

The second bird, the darker one looks best, I think. Go for it and don't overtk it.hin

Barb said...

I like the bird on the branch but they are all great!

lgilcreast said...

Hey talented lady, I love the whole thing, but I see the bird as facing the other direction (I was going to say "flip the bird", but that didn't sound right!) - looking at the letters instead of away. I also like the idea of the bird on one of the letters, and I like the bird on the bottom! ~ Lori

Cathie in UT said...

Personally I like the middle bird...oh that sounds bad! LOL
But knowing you we won't have the same taste, Ha!