Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Difference Between M's and W's

For my sewing today I stuck to something simple. Some of the zig zag blocks I received back from ladies in my online bee groups, though lovely, were upside down! It's a very easy mistake to make (I may or may not have done the same thing myself on a few!) and also a very easy mistake to fix.

This one here is put together the right way and the zig zags form a capital "M"This one is put together upside down and the zig zags form a capital "W"


When you try to put them together, this is what you get.... See why they have to be "M's" instead of "W's"?!

All I did to fix them was undo the middle seam and switch the two halves around. Easy peasy and now I have a nice pile of "M's" to use :)

Edited to add: I've had a couple of people, plus my husband, ask why I don't just flip the blocks around. So to answer any more questions about it (and it actually is a really good question!), the answer is this...if I were to flip the block around, yes the zig zags would match up, but I would be connecting the blue row to the red row. If you were doing the quilt completely scrappy and not with specific rows of color, then yes you could absolutely flip the blocks around. I'm just being difficult and making it hard on myself, but hopefully for a great effect!

6 comments:

Julie said...

These fabrics and colors are gorgeous!!

SO I'M Anna Fogg, an eclectic kinda gal said...

So JEALOUS of how gorgeous this is going to be...I can see some awesome big stitch quilting done on the dark solid in rainbow perle cottons. Lotta work, but BIG stitch, so double/triple speed of normal hand quilting. Or you can just zip it out on the machine! ~a

Cathie in UT said...

So YOU! LOL
Glad it was an easy fix.

Blogless me said...

It must be a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway ;-). Why did you not just turn the whole W block upside down and attach it to the M block?

Oh, btw your fabrics are fabulous and the quilt will most certainly be a joy for the eyes.

Jessica said...

I was going to ask the same question. Why not just flip the block around? Maybe there is something I'm missing?

Alice R. said...

Okay, girls, since I didn't realize this at first, I'll answer: because her quilt has the red/pinks and the blue/greens together in rows and the blocks won't go together the other way. I think the photo is few posts back if you want to see - it's pretty!