Sunday, February 13, 2011

What's Old is New Again


Tonight I pulled out a project that hasn't seen the light of day for quite a while, as in about 5 years! I started this house quilt, a Blackbird Designs pattern from their book, Home Sweet Home, back when we lived in Utah. By the way, when I just went to get the URL for the book, I saw that I had written a review for the book - I can't even remember writing it, but everything I said still holds true! It's the first review if you want to see my thoughts on the book back on February 27th 2006. I am impressed that I was so close to my 5 year guess!

I remember that all the other people doing it at the time were staying quite true to the original fabrics, and made the quilt in more muted tones than I enjoy working with.

I knew I wanted my version to be different from the norm, so I remember going to quilt shops to find my inspiration. When I don't know what direction to go, I often will pick out a fabulous border print first and build the rest of the quilt from there. Amy Butler was quite new to the quilting scene, and when I saw this lime green and blue print of hers, I knew that was my inspiration!So I bought a few yards of it, gathered my matching fabrics, and made my first block, which is what I'm showing you tonight.

I got as far as basting the second block when the project was put on hold due our cross country move. But tonight I finally started working on the second block. I think I'll try to get it finished before showing it to you, but you can see where I'm going from the first one.

4 comments:

SO I'M Anna Fogg, an eclectic kinda gal said...

Ok, my twin, who was somehow born in New Zealand whilst I was born in DC...and several years behind me, no less. I pulled these out too! Just the other day. I've done 5 I think. And get this...Going to get mine out and take some pics. Love the blue idea!! ~a

Jane in Cumbria said...

I love your house!! I have just started this quilt too, and have done 4 houses. It is wonderful to work on! Look forward to seeing what you do with the others!

Anonymous said...

Every time I see that quilt on someone's blog I want to start it and I go home and pull it out of my book collection and then I can't decide what fabrics I'd want to use, I think I do better with kits. I like your colors.

Karen said...

I have the same project that hasn't seen the light of day in a long, long time.