I thought it would be fun to show you some of the projects I've done in my new sewing area, starting with the first one I did, a hutch.
I had been scouring thrift stores looking for something the right size and shape, and very importantly, the right price! Prices sure do vary at different thrift stores, but I finally found one for just $29.95. I was thrilled, especially because it was solid wood. It wasn't until I got it home that I saw it was an Ethan Allen hutch, which is known for well made pieces of furniture.
The two things I didn't like about it were 1) the dark stain and 2) the knobs. Both had to go! I also felt that the doors on the hutch dated it, so off they came. I'm saving them for another project.
After some research online - OK I'll admit, after many hours on Pinterest, I decided the best way to approach painting this beauty was the new craze of DIY Chalk paint, as no sanding is needed. No way did I want to sand all the nooks and crannies of my hutch!
There are a few variations you can make online. I have some links for you to peruse... HERE
, and most thorough of all, HERE
. For my project I went the Plaster of Paris route. I applied the undercoat with a brush, (doesn't it look awful with just one coat brushed on below?!) and the top coats with a foam roller. May I just say the foam roller was amazing?! No brush marks, it went on easily, and just worked out really well. It took 3 coats to cover, but using chalk paint hastens the drying time. Just an hour - if that - between coats.
I finished the project off with a couple of coats of wax which was fun to apply, but more labor intensive than I thought it would be. However, a month after doing it, I must say, the finish has been fantastic - not a scratch, not a chip, nothing! The only thing I would do differently would be to apply a coat of white primer first instead of using up my precious quart of paint and needing to buy more, albeit just a tester size! With a coat of white primer however, the quart would have been plenty.
I had a terrible time deciding on a color. At first I was just going to go with white. Fresh, clean and simple, then I thought hmmm - I need something different and loads of color. So of course the next choice was Behr's Carolina Parakeet, a nice lime green! I mean, isn't the the natural progression of your thought process?!
Now that it was all painted, it needed new drawer pulls. I went to Hobby Lobby and found an assortment of ones I liked on clearance. I spray painted the large brass pulls white, and now I have a nice eclectic mix of pulls.
I've started to 'dress' the hutch with some do-dads and nick-nacks....
A blue glass bowl holding my Anna Maria Horner stash...
A wire basket holding my Kaffe's (which needs to be neatened, I know I know!) and a chevron basket (to match my floor!) holding my selveges which I WILL turn into something one day...
A green glass bowl holding some lovely wools I bought in Utah a couple of years ago...
Some handy dandy containers holding a little bit of everything...zippers, ric rac, buttons, bias tape etc...
More wire baskets holding left to right, Kona solids, my stash of Jinny Beyer prints, and my favorite, the mini shopping cart holding ric rac.
I made this crystal glass holder from a plate, bowl, and candlestick, all thrifted and glued together for the total price of $2. It holds some vintage buttons, also thrifted - this entire lot, also for $2!
Next time, the pink bureau. Stay tuned!