Monday, June 27, 2011

Tomato Block

Remember my pumpkin/tomato dilemma? I just HAD to use that gorgeous red tomato-ey fabric somehow, so why not design a block around it? Presenting tomatoes on a vine...
Yes I cut out two different vines. I thought I'd show you as it's all part of the auditioning process. First I cut the darker Kaffe fabric but I didn't like it against the busy tomato fabrics, so then I cut out the lighter olive green vine and I think I like it better. I do this a lot. Don't be afraid to cut up your fabric - you can always use the rejected shape in a different project!

It's not basted down or appliqued yet so the leafy bits on the petals look a lot bulkier than they will be. You just need to use your imagination!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it okay to say to say I like the second selection? Well, I do! I love your work. ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

The Heart in Hand Project

Deb said...

I agree...the lighter green is more realistically tomato viney looking! And you are right, sometimes you don't know until you audition the fabrics. They can suprise you. Fabrics you thought would be "ugh" turn out "Ahhh!" or vice versa!!

Deb from clutteredquilter.blogspot.com

Pinkadot Quilts said...

That is so gosh darn cute...it's going to be a cool quilt.

Ingrid said...

Nice tomatoes. Kisses!

SO I'M Anna Fogg, an eclectic kinda gal said...

I like the tomatoes, they are nicely realistic despite their folk-si-ness. Mine are coming on the vine like gangbusters. I should be eating a blt next week, fingers crossed. ~a

Sue said...

It would be interesting to see which color stands out when looking through one of those red lens things. The first choice you made has darker tones and may actually make the overall block more striking. They are both lovely nonetheless.