Saturday, April 5, 2008

Want Ice-Cream?


So I know this blog is meant to be all about applique and quilting but today I just had to write about ice-cream, specifically ice-cream in New Zealand, and more specifically Pokeno ice-cream! Anyone in NZ will know exactly what I am talking about!

For those unenlightened ones, Pokeno is a tiny little town just off the freeway on the way to NZ's biggest city, Auckland. It is famous for ice-cream cones and is a must-stop every single time you go to Auckland. I used to get a double scoop...one scoop rum and raisin, one scoop apricot and chocolate dipped. Yummo!!These photos are of my beautiful niece Mona-Jane and my extremely handsome nephew Maihi with an 11 scoop - yes that's right, ELEVEN scoop ice cream at Pokeno! And the cost? 8 bucks. Now here in NH you go to the local ice-cream stand in the Summer and get one scoop for $2.50...you do the math! And these cones are double cones - it branches out at the top of the cone, so there are 2 holes instead of one, which is something I don't think I've see here in the States. Please let me know if you've seen any!

So look and enjoy and book your plane tickets for NZ lol!!

3 comments:

Di~ said...

Joanna: Thanks for commenting on our giveaway, what you said is sweet. What brought you to the US?
This ice cream looks so so good. We had Gelato in Phoenix, it was great!

Marie Rayner said...

WOW, I don't think I'v e ever seen ice cream stacked that high! Looks delicious. It would take quite an appetite to get through that though! NZ is one of the places on my "Hope to go to oneday" list!

Purple and Paisley said...

you are from nz? i have always wanted to travel there...my dad met a new zelander thru an exercise program he runs online and they have become good email buddies...the ice cream looks delicious!