Tuesday, April 16, 2013

N is for NEIGHBORLY NOSTALGIA

I have the best neighbor in the world. No, really, I do. If you think you do then you're wrong because I do. Not only are we neighbors but we are karaoke buddies and best of all, friends.

I was over at her place today (let's call 'her' Lori...because, well, that's her name!) and she said she had something to show me and that I was going to just die.

She opened up a cedar trunk she had just got from her mother's basement and what do you think was in there?


Among other things, two absolutely beautiful gorgeous quilts made by her great grandmother! They were both dated - wait for it - 1895 and 1897. These quilts are old! Yet they are in almost pristine condition.

Here is the first, the older of the two. It is a crazy quilt with hand embroidery and a multitude of silks and satins. It also has the most beautiful perfect lace edging with no rips or tears. Just lovely...











I thought it couldn't get any better than the first. Then she pulled out the second and I fell in love all over again. It is completely made of wool scraps with embroidery on each scrap. If you look at the embroidery, it actually looks quite modern! I am desperate to recreate some of them in applique.







Are you just dying from the amazingness of it like I am?!

What treasures. Thankfully, Lori is the type of person who understands the history and importance of such family heirlooms. I almost wish she wasn't. I wish she was completely ignorant and said something like, "Look at these old blankets I found in my Mom's trunk. Want 'em?" To which I would quickly grab them and hobble home muttering, "My precious....."

A tad dramatic? Not when it comes to antique quilts!

7 comments:

Marlene said...

I thought my neighbour was the best but I think you win!!! Those quilts are just amazing-the embroidery is just exquisite. I love the bird flying off with the strawberry.
What an absolute treasure.

JoJo said...

These. Are. Awesome. WOW!

AnnA said...

Oh my PRECIOUS PRECIOUS!! I almost think these belong in a museum. How perfectly preserved!!! What luck to view them in person.

Heather said...

The embroideries on that second quilt are just stunning. Love the strawberries with the little mouse.

Sharon said...

Wow, those are beauties. I hope she has written down as much information as she knows about these quilts and about the person who made them and what their family life was like.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Wow...I was lucky to see a quilt like this once and it was of similar age and design and it was a thrill. You just don't cross paths with these beauties that often!

Ann Hinds said...

Those are wonderful quilts. I just bought one at the thrift store for $5.00. It is a completely hand-stitched crazy quilt with beautiful embroidery. I am thinking is is quite old. Dropping by on A to Z.

http://completelycalifornia.blogspot.com/