Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thrifty Thursday

Last Saturday I picked up this hand embroidered pillow at a garage sale...


How much do you think it cost me? And no it wasn't free! How much would you pay for it at a garage sale? $5? $3? $1? 50 cents? How about 5 cents! Oh yes my friends, I paid 5 cents for it! It was at a garage sale in a very well to do area of town where they obviously don't appreciate the value of vintage stitchery! It was a son selling off everything from his deceased parents estate. It had been originally marked as 25 cents - yes, outrageously expensive, I know - and we got there near the end and it had been marked down to 5 cents.

My only problem is that I seem to have a plethora of pillows already. I took a photo this morning of all the pillows piled up on the loveseat just how the kids left them last night...


See? Too many pillows! So I'm thinking that perhaps I should just cut off the front, re-embroider the green criss cross parts that need doing...


...and repurpose it. Perhaps even just frame it and hang it? So many options! But hey for 5 cents, I can't go wrong, right?!

14 comments:

Michele said...

All that work! At least it went to a good home!

Linda said...

That's really beautiful! Why not just rotate the pillow collection?

Keep Stitchin' said...

Beautiful,and I love all of the pillows on the loveseat as well!

Unknown said...

Gosh, it's amazing how many don't realize what handwork is...amazing. That is beautiful embroidery. It would be lovely on Sofia's bed. Or the front of a tote repurposed.

Unknown said...

oh gosh, got to sign Noah out!!

Helen said...

They are so pretty. Absolutely love them.

Sue said...

What a gorgeous cushion. I can imagine the embroiderer and all the loving work that went into it. It may not be to everyone's taste but five cents....that is sad. Totally wonderful that it has ended up in a loving home.

Elzaan said...

What a lovely pillow! How can anyone part with that - and than for 5 cents! Glad you got hold of it!!!!

Maja said...

I´ll do that!
Cut it out and reframe!
Love pillows, and yours are great, but when you almoast drown in them- it´s time to reframe that oldie. And then you save it!
Hugs

M and M plus 3 said...

It would look gorgeous framed, so glad you rescued the poor thing!

Barb said...

wow, what a great find!
I like that it's unfinished, how funny

Sunnybec said...

I have to tell you when I read how much you paid for it I took a sharp intake of breath and my mouth stayed open for ages... what a find it's absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait for our "vide grenier" translated means empty attic, every street in our little town is covered with stalls a lot selling rubbish.... but who knows what I will find amongst all the rubbish... sure hope I can find a bargain like yours. Well Done.

Jeanne said...

I'm glad it belongs to someone who appreciates the skill and time put into making it. I think it would look lovely framed. It was definitely too good a deal to pass up.

Monet said...

OMG I LOVE THAT PILLOW SO MUCH! I am so jealous of you.